Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Goin's On...

I don't know about your kids but with mine, the act of loosing teeth is extremely painful! Not as in full of actual felt pain, but emotionally painful for me! How can loosing a tooth take.so.long! Both Kylie and Luke has been deemed late loosers (by the dentist!) and usually their permanent teeth grow in long before the baby teeth are lost. So when Luke finally had a really wiggly tooth I forced him to stay in the bathroom until it was out. Thankfully it finally worked it's way out!



A letter was written and joyous shouts followed as he told everyone he saw the long drawn out saga of pulling his tooth. I have a bazillian pictures but I will save you from those. I have tons more to share so grab a cup of coffee and make yourself comfy. This might feel like Aunt Edna's trip where she pulled out the slide projector and screen. Seriously...

Did someone say road trip? Surprise, surprise... The dishes must have been overwhelming because when house duties back up, I hit the road. This time I convinced my hubby to come with us as well!


It is funny to hear my kids sigh and say, we are headed to the mountains but I really think it has become therapy for us as a family. It used to be theme parks but somehow the cost and payoff is much more here in the woods. Something simple about exploring new things gets the family back to square one. 


Maybe the fact that there is a clear line for us all to travel on, leaving no room for deviation has us all on the same path. No single opinion or agenda stands out, just us together, moving on. Even Jake the wild man travels ahead with little resistance. I think his favorite line now when we get in the van is "hiking?" or "waterfall?" or as of late "Gambi's house?" (my mom's house which is a 5 hour drive!) Yes, we are raising a roadtripper extraordinaire. But I digress... One direction, together.




As I said earlier, sometimes said hiker wants to mooch a bit on the way and ask for us to carry him but after a little man to man he was ready to hike again.



So, people ask me how can we just jump in a car and head to our destination? Well, we first wanted to see a waterfall so a quick Google and voila, Linville Falls is a must see. That and we had never been there made a sure fire winner. So Linville Falls it was.


So off we went down the trail and somehow Kylie and I got seperated from the boys. Why did that happen? Well, I had my camera and I was too busy trying to be some National Geographic Photographer and Kylie stuck with me and before you know it, the boys were gone. And there was a fork in the trail so naturally I assumed they went to the falls. Yeah, no. But we had joy in knowing that we beat them and saw it first!




We were a bit late for the summer wildflowers but I was able to find this little guy. Hello happy yellow!


With no cell service we were happy to find the boys! Only 15 minutes later...


There was this cool tree over the trail that of course the kids had to climb.


And since the biggun's could do it, of course Jake had to try.


I guess he was to busy stealing Luke's water to try and climb up the tree.


Ok, nevermind... off to climb.


And then later hide in a cool tree stump. Bet you can't see me! Ha!


Peek-a-boo!


Pictures really don't do this waterfall justice. It was so amazing! Jon and Jake just sat and stared for the longest time. Really, that is a  feat. 






Kylie stole my camera and took a few shots too.



First glimmer that fall is on it's way!



Then we hiked to another overlook. 


Hiked some more, stopped some more, hiked more, then stopped again.



Another overlook.



Downstream from the waterfalls.


Yeah, straight down. Yikes!




A few of Luke's shots when he snagged my camera.



Jake was starting to loose it and be silly. We had stopped and talked to many a hiker with dogs and if you know Jake, he had to pet each.and.every.one. So he decided he needed to be a dog as well. Kylie was trying to call him to her.


Poor puppy is tired and thirsty. Notice the panting puppy? Sheesh...


Oh good puppy.


While all of that puppy shenanigans was going on I just had to sigh and take a look at my happy man. Yes, he puts up with me and loves me no matter what. Sigh...



Made it down the mountain and to a calmer river. The water was chilly but very refreshing!


We headed north up the Blue Ridge Parkway. 




Poor Jon never complains when I shriek, "pull over!"


Then I turn around and see this. Shaking my head...


My happy go lucky girl. We stumbled on Moses Cone Park and whew, I would sure love to live there back in the day!


Who needs a playground when you have a slippery rail down stairs.


Or a freshly painted banister thingie. They gained some speed on that thing!



Of course Jake had to try too and Luke carefully guided him down the slippery slide.


Then you know, there was a little sweet family behind us and of course my kids were being loud and giggly but oh well. I am sure they were having a moment (the sweet family) but we were too so sorry sweet family if your sunset time was overtaken by our crazy family! We were having a moment too!



Love these windows. And clouds. And view. And really, the whole package!





THE OUT TAKES - lest you think our family is perfect....


You want me to stand where??


Well if he is out, so am I! Boo yah!


What, I am an angel??!!


Love how they love eachother. My heart melted with Jake's face towards Luke.


Road trips rule. That is all I have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment